There are a number of ways that individuals and organisations can help asylum seekers.
- There is an ongoing need for second hand bikes. If you have an adult bicycle you no longer need please contact Rocky on 07981452174 and he will arrange to collect and check it over before handing it on to the next on the list.
- There is an urgent current need for items for people stranded in Calais, Greece and other places in Europe. Please see here for information about what’s needed.
- There is an ongoing need for clothing and shoes, mainly for young, slim men. We are grateful for good quality cast-offs, which can be left at Victoria Hall reception in Chapel Walk, opposite Superdrug, S1 2JB.
Volunteering with City of Sanctuary Sheffield
- You could help to welcome people to The Sanctuary
- You could help direct asylum seekers and refugees to appropriate advice and support
- You could help with various tasks at the multi-agency drop-in on Wednesday afternoons
If you would like to know more about volunteering with us, please have a look at our Volunteering page here
How could your community welcome asylum-seekers and refugees?
- Pass a resolution of support for City of Sanctuary.
- Display one of our “We welcome asylum-seekers and refugees” signs outside your building or office.
- Invite a refugee or asylum-seeker to speak to your community about their experiences.
- Publicise City of Sanctuary, Refugee Week and other refugee events within your community.
- Publicise opportunities for voluntary work with asylum-seekers and refugees.
- Invite refugee groups to your community social events.
- Offer befriending or advocacy to asylum-seekers in your area.
- Offer meeting or worship space to a refugee community group.
- Raise funds for ASSIST or other refugee charities.
- Provide short or longer-term accommodation to homeless asylum-seekers by offering a spare room, or by contributing to the rent for a house.
- Offer volunteer placements for suitably skilled asylum-seekers or refugees with your organisation.
- Consider appointing refugees to positions of responsibility in your community.
- Lobby your MP, write to the media, to express your support for asylum seekers & refugees
- Join a campaigning group such as South Yorkshire Migration & Asylum Action Group (SYMAAG)
These are just a few suggestions of ways that community groups can involve refugees and asylum-seekers in your activities. For more information, contacts with relevant organisations and support with putting these or other ideas into practice please contact us.
Other volunteering opportunities
There are many projects which support asylum-seekers and refugees in the Sheffield area, and all would welcome new volunteers…
ASSIST. Supports destitute asylum-seekers with small grants and accommodation. Volunteers needed for fundraising, events, campaigns, publicity etc. Also runs a hosting scheme to provide short-term accommodation to homeless asylum-seekers.
Tel: 0114 275 4960
Conversation Club. Informal English conversation and befriending, day trips and social activities for asylum-seekers and volunteers.
Tel: 07985 916683
Sheffield Association for the Voluntary Teaching of English (SAVTE). Teaching English as an additional language to asylum-seekers and others.
Link to us
You could help us attract more visitors by providing a link to us on your website.
Volunteer Advocates Needed
ASSIST is looking for volunteer befriender/advocates who can accompany asylum-seekers to appointments and offer moral support in meetings with solicitors and officials. If you could offer some time for this very important role please contact ASSIST at
[email protected] or
Tel: 0114 275 4960